Prothonotary Warbler Occurrence In Texas

Central Texas draws the western line for the Prothonotary Warbler range. This species occupies much of eastern North America up to the southern boarder of Ontario Canada.
Prothonotarys' nest in natural cavities but also readily use nest boxes located on or near water. Flooded swamps represent ideal habitat but they will also nest along rivers or small bodies of water.
In May 2007 I saw a brightly colored male Prothonotary Warbler at Pedernales Falls State Park bird blind. After some research I learned male birds have been seen building nests in neighboring counties to Blanco County. Further research revealed a pair of Prothonotary Warblers successfully nested at Heard Wildlife Sanctuary in McKinney, Texas.
In December 2007 I decided to undertake a nest box study at the park. January through February 2008 I hiked the entire Pedernales River and tributaries within park boundaries, in an effort to choose the best sites. Habitat selection proved a challenge do to high flood levels along the river.
Five sights were eventually selected where two nest boxes each were placed. Most boxes were attached to trees however two were attached to metal poles. These boxes were monitored from March through June 2008 on a weekly basis. A Breeding Bird Study was conducted at each nestbox location in 2008 and will be continued in 2009.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Nighthawks, Fledglings & Acadian Flycatcher

Six thirty AM I was greeted by a Gray Fox at the Primitive Camp parking lot. Biking on Wolf Mountain Trail I had at least 8 Common Nighthawks combing the skies catching insects and two Chuck-will's Widows calling. Overcast skies kept these dawn and dusk birds active.
Tobacco Creek is where I began my surveys today. At nest box 5, where there is a seep running down the steep embankment, I watched for 45 minutes an Acadian Flycatcher. The Black-chinned Hummingbird female was tending her nest but not sitting on it. I assume air temperatures were warm enough for her not to be keeping the eggs warm today.

Today many fledglings were begging for food. I found a fledgling Black and White Warbler feeding in its characteristic way of climbing along the trunk of the tree. Blue gray Gnatcatchers and Canyon Wren fledglings were also noted. Carolina Chickadees were traveling around in family groups as well.
Louisiana Waterthrushes appear to be nesting at three locations on my survey route. Each male was singing non-stop during my 20 minute survey time. Temperatures reached 95 degrees today. I see most birds start nesting in April to beat the heat. Hiking and biking under such heat really is exhausting.
All along the forest floor Wood Satyr Butterflies could be seen flying around. These butterflies will lay eggs on grass species for their larvae to feed on.
Todays photos include a Green Anole hunting insects around nest box 3 at Twin Falls Creek. This lizard can change color to match its background. I have already found the anole inside nest boxes. A Diamond Back Water Snake was seen perusing the shoreline at East Park Boundary. I saw two snakes each 3 feet long. These snakes are not poisoness. Finally, I took a photo of this American Rubyspot Damselfly on the Pedernales River where the water moves swiftly.

No comments: